SGT-SSG Study Guide
Drill and Ceremony:
1. What are the four rest positions?
2. How many inches is the Quick time, Half step, and Side step march?
3. A hand salute to another individual is initiated by whom?
4. During the command “Rear, March,” the command of execution is given on which foot?
5. What is the correct command to move around an obstacle in the line of march?
6. When at parade rest, how far apart should your feet be?
7. During the command “Dress right, Dress,” which part of your body will be touching the cadet to your left?
8. What is the correct movement for any of the four designated squads in a platoon under the command “Close ranks, March”?
1st squad– two 30-inch steps
2nd squad– one 30-inch step
3rd squad– stand fast
4th squad– two 15-inch steps to the rear
9. What is the correct command to bring your unit or squad from “Dress Right, Dress” to the position of attention?
10. In what direction during the command of “Fall, Out” do members of a squad turn?
11. What is the correct command for a squad leader to give in forming his or her squad?
12. When should you call “Route Step, March!”
1. Define the term “leadership”
2. What are the four elements of professional army ethics?
3. What are the three things a leader should do?
4. What are the three leadership styles?
5. What are the four individual values of a leader? (The four ‘C’s of leadership)
6. Define the phrase “esprit de corps”
7. What are the four followerships?
8. Define the term “delegate”
9. What is “moral courage”
10. Who do you inform if one of your squad members doesn't have all of their required uniforms items?
Responsibilities of SL:
Account for personnel
Assign battle buddies
Track squad members training status
Ensure sm’s have required uniforms issued
Encourage members to memorize the Cadet Creed
1. What is the command to extend a platoon formation so that squad members have enough room to safely conduct PRT?
2. What is the command to direct the platoon to transition from an extended rectangular formation to a standard rectangular formation?
3. When a platoon leader calls the command “ File from the right, column right, march!” what do the squad leaders say?
1. How do you inform medical personnel that you have applied a tourniquet to an injured victim?
2. How do you control bleeding from facial wounds?
3. In what position do you splint a broken leg or arm?
4. Where should splints be tied?
5. For exceptionally overweight or pregnant women, where should you place your fist during the Heimlich Maneuver?
6. What is the primary focus to treat a patient with a neck injury?
7. What are the three types of burns?
8. How long should you boil water to disinfect it?
1. What are the three types of contour lines found on a map?
2. How close will a four, six, and eight digit grip get you from a point?
Four - 1000 meters
Six - 100 meters
Eight - 10 meters
3. What direction do the tick marks on contour lines face to indicate a depression?
4. Where is the sheet number of a topographic map located?
5. What are the contour lines that fall between index contour lines?
6. What are benchmarks?
7. How are benchmarks symbolized on a topographic map?
8. Contour lines that show an hourglass or a figure-eight shape identify what terrain feature?
9. What are the three most common types of maps?
10. Define “Topographical Map”
11. What is the G-M angle of a topographical map?
Flags and Guidons:
What does the flag being positioned at half-staff indicate?
What is the proper way to dispose of a torn or worn flag
What does flying the U.S. flag upside down indicate?
What is required to display an all-weather flag at all times?
Who made the first U.S. flag?
1. What 1920 amendment gave women the right to vote?
2. What is known as the right to hold meetings, parades, and public demonstrations for political or social causes?
3. Freedom of religion is guaranteed under which amendment?
4. What are the three branches of government?
5. What do we call a government of the people, by the people, for the people?
Uniform and Appearance:
What is a gig line?
Where is the rank on the enlisted uniform worn?
When wearing less than 6 arcs how many rows should there be?
If there is something you do not know about the uniform where can you find this information?
How should the beret be properly worn
What is the cadet class B uniform?
1. What does JROTC stand for?
2. What are the three parts of an exercise program?
3. What are the two major categories or rank and grade for cadets and military personnel
4. What is the key to success in JROTC
5. What war was fought in the 1960s-1970s?
6. Who were the two enemies of the U.S. and its allies during WWll?
7. Who did the U.S. have an on-going political rivalry with from 1962-1979?